Ragging is the term used for the so-called "initiation ritual" practiced in higher education institutions across the world. Every one uses different terms for ragging. Ragging involves abuse, humiliation, or harassment of new entrants or junior students by the senior students. It often takes a malignant form where in the newcomers may be subjected to physiological and physicalIy 2009, the University Grants Commission of India imposed regulations upon Indian universities to help curb ragging and launched a toll-free 'anti-ragging helpline'. Unlike various complex forms of bullying, ragging is easily recognizable.
Types of ragging:-
1. Dress code ragging - The freshmen are asked to dress in a specific dress code for a particular period of time. The dress code prescribed is generally unusual, e.g. dressing completely in white or black with the hair oiled and combed in a particular style, dressing shirts that do not contain stripes, dressing long skirts for girls. Dress code ragging may make freshmen feel uncomfortable, as it often brings them unnecessary attention from everybody else.
2. Verbal abuse - Verbal torture involves indulging in loose talks. The freshmen may be asked to sing the lyrics of any vulgar song or use abusive language in the presence of a large number of peers. During this time, seniors assign an abusive and demeaning nickname, known as card, to the juniors and they have to be called by that name throughout their entire university life. In some universities, this nickname is changed to a less vulgar name after the ragging period. These aliases are used primarily as a means of preventing the university authorities identifying the students who are involved in ragging and other unlawful activities. The form of verbal ragging differs from one institution to another. In some universities, students have to memorize poems made up of filth and recite them in front of others.
3. Physical abuse - Physical abuse includes all variants of sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestured, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person can be put in the category of ragging. The freshers are asked to do various tasks, such sit-ups, push-ups, sitting in the murga pose and chair pose, being forced to address seniors as 'sir'/'ma'am' , or removing their shirts. On an attempt to resist carrying out the activities, they may beat the fresher with baseball bats or slap them.
Why college ragging should stop:-
Ragging has been one of the most troublesome issues in India. Ragging has become more of a norm than an exception in a number of educational institutes across the country, which has led to lives being shattered and young people being rendered helpless. Some develop mental disorders, some choose to end their lives while many others are also murdered by the force of ragging. One has heard of many stories of those who have suffered such endless trauma and those who haven't had the strength to speak up against such issues.
How teachers help students to Stop College Ragging:-
Teachers and parents have a major role to play. No matter how big their child is, they should always hold a stick if he moves on to the wrong path. Also, they should strictly warn themselves from doing any such activity. On the other hand, if parents feel that their child is a victim of ragging, then they should not hesitate to bring it to the notice of concerned authorities. They should extend complete support towards their child. You cannot effectively curb ragging until you install it in the minds of the students. Seminars, counselling sessions, and workshops too can come handy in teaching them morals. The execution of strict and stringent laws irrespective of any bias should be inculcated. It is beyond understanding what people gain from such idiotic and insane practices. Further, one should voice such concerns rather than keeping it under covers. If you hide the crime, you are promoting it indirectly. People should realize that it is high time to be vocal and take a stand against such menaces before they mock at the value system and ethics that Indian society has been long known for.
1. By giving constant reminders to students
· Written undertakings from students at the time of admission and beginning of the academic session every year to the effect that they will not instigate or indulge in ragging. Similar undertakings from parents and guardians to the effect they will abide by the punishment to their wards against ragging
· Constitution of vigilance committee in every institution against ragging that would include faculty members, wardens and senior students
· I-cards to have one-line pledge against ragging, and migration certificates to have records of past offences related to ragging
· Sign boards throughout the institution - at hostel entrances, cashier, and administration offices - to display telephone numbers where students can register complaints against ragging
2. Strict actions
It was also recommended that students found guilty of ragging should be penalized too. Penalties that were proposed included suspension, withdrawing or withholding fellowships and scholarships, withholding or cancelling results, cancellation of admission, expulsion and rustication fine of up to Rs.10,000.
#stopragging #ragging #college #collegememes #love #fun #collegegirl #collegefest #collegediaries #collegeboys #collegeragging #juniorgirl #juniorgirls #hostel #juniorgirlsfashion #brainless #brainonfire #updates #memes #medicalstudent #bestielove